Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Hello world!  I finally have Internet here at my island paradise.  We have been here for 9 days already.  the first day was spent in airport world, of course.  We arrived on Little Cayman at 5:30 P.M. and the first thing we did was get to the little grocery store to pick up supplies before closing at 6:00.  We got to the house via Marks truck as ours was being worked on by Neil and his cousin.  The truck needed a part that arrived on the flight just before ours.  They worked until well after dark fixing our truck and we are so grateful.  To this day, the truck is still running.  Neil is a "jack of all trades" and does so many things for us.  Also, how nice is Mark to loan us his truck! 

We put our food from the store and from our cooler away and headed to The Hungry Iguana to eat some dinner.  We hadn't eaten since breakfast at 3:30 in the morning.  I had made our lunch food but sadly forgot it and it is still in the fridge in Ames!  How I forgot it, I do not know!!

My bed was so comfy that night, I slept like I was dead! Actually, every night since I have been here, I have slept great!  Most nights we have gone to bed super early so far. 

Thursday was a busy day.  We had a very messy house.  The kitchen/master bath remodel was not finished and I had my work cut out.  They had installed cabinets with no knobs.  The dishwasher was not installed, nor the microwave.  I had temporary counter tops.  I still have no knobs. It is a job opening a drawer.  First I open the door below and then break knuckles trying to get the drawer started.  Needless to say, we are thrilled our project is finally started.  This "island time" thing can get annoying when one wants something done.

Richard went right to work and installed my microwave.  Luckily, he is a "jack of all trades" too!  We began cutting and clearing our property of all the regrowth that occurred over the months we were gone.  This was excessive as the island had its rainiest season on record!  Last year was the driest on record!  The vegetation is so lush!  So are the mosquitoes!!!  Luckily, they are 99% male buggers so they don't bite!  But it is gross! 

I quit working in the afternoon and jumped in the beautiful Caribbean waters right outside my door!  Boy, was that fun!  The next day, Richard actually joined me.  He wanted to try out his new goggles and water dive boots. 

We ate at LCBR for dinner on Thursday evening as I had worked so long and my kitchen just didn't want to be used yet.  Man, was that good.  I had the best fish taco ever!  I dream of eating it again.  The next day, Brian generously donated some Wahoo that he caught that morning.  I fixed it for dinner that night with chopped potatoes and broccoli on the grill and it was to die for!  I have managed to keep us fed every night so far. 

Yesterday, Wednesday, they came from Grand and installed my granite counter tops!  What an exciting day.  Richard hooked up my dishwasher and I am in business!!  I will post pictures of my kitchen when it is finished.  I still have no knobs. Nor do I have a back splash.  Hopefully, it won't be another year for these.  We need to get a big mirror and new lights for the bathroom yet too.  I will need some luck getting those items over here on the barge. 

We have been working hard getting things done around here but are amazed how fast it is moving along.  A couple days ago I bleached all the white painted railings and everything painted white as I am going to repaint.  There is maintenance that needs to be done in this environment.  We want to keep it looking nice. 

Of course, I have been working daily removing stickers on my beautiful sandy beach.  Where do they come from???  Almost sticker free!  Such devils!

Tuesday was ladies night.  Marcia picked me up and I was excited to catch up with everyone on the island.  As we were driving, it got darker on the road and when we arrived at Beach Resort it was really dark and they had candles lit.  Turns out, the power on most of the island was out.  A power pole had come down!  Power would be out for 4 hours at least.  Luckily, the power was still on at our house.  Marcia and I left and we ate at home.  Disappointed.  We will go next week.

It is fun to be back on island.  Things are different this year, as they are each year we return. One has to enjoy every minute as things can change at any time.  Stop and smell the roses, talk to an iguana, gaze at the beautiful sky or ocean.  Enjoy an adventure! 



No comments:

Post a Comment